Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Bloodletting

The ancient Greeks started the practice of bloodletting and it remained popular for nearly 2,000 years. It involved withdrawing considerable quantities of blood from a person with the belief that it would prevent a great many illnesses and diseases. The amount of blood removed was based on the patient's age, the season, the weather and the place. In the late 19th century, the practice was universally abandoned with one exception - my bathroom sink.

I was standing in front of the mirror shaving when Char said, “You look like you’re in pain.”

“I am,” I replied noticing a few nicks and cuts on my chin, “This razor is dull but I’m not going to pay $19 for eight razor blades. I’ll wait until they go on sale.”

Then Char said, “Have you thought about getting an electric razor?”

Wiping the blood from chin it occurred to me, she might be right. I went shopping for an electric razor. Those little suckers range in price from $14.98 to $224. With my vast knowledge of electric razors, it was easy to pick one. It had to be a brand name (the one with mainly Japanese writing scared me) and I wanted it to cost about the same as two packages of razor blades ($38).


There it was sitting proudly on the shelf a Norelco razor on sale for $37. What a beauty! It has ultra thin shaving heads, is waterproof, has a flip top for easy rinsing, and is rechargeable. I bought it, no more of those expensive blades for me.


The following morning Char asked how the new shaver was working. I told her the truth, “Shaving is shaving.”

14 Comments:

Blogger Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

Might call and talk to your son about this...

We have had this same talk befor. We go back and forth with this oh let say evey other month.

Hmmm father like son I guess!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

It took me years to figure it out. The Missus' mother bought me a gag gift...it was a $5 battery operated razor. It sat for years, and I finally had to use it becuase I couldn't find my razor. And, for the first time, I didn't cut myself.

That was about five years ago and I've never looked back. Oh, I did buy a fancy German-made one to replace the dollar store variety.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

We have 2 electric razors for my husband.

Lately I have been using the packaged bladed ones just because it's so much faster. I don't cut him very often either!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I shave in the shower. One blade will last forever in the shower. Don't tell water Nazi's I do that.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Ralph, my husband has used both methods and he has gone back to using a razor....

8:54 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You must be very old if this happened to you in the late 19th century! You and Char look great for your very advance age!!

:-)

Happy shaving! No more nicks. I guess you're right though... shaving is just shaving.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

You could just grow a beard....

12:47 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I got one just like that for Christmas a couple of years ago. I used it a couple of times. It just fell apart one day.

Now I buy the kind with four disposable razors in a pack. I have a light beard, so they last a couple of months each. Not a bad investment for me. Except when My First Wife needs one in a hurry--two days in a row!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

I tried the electric route a few years ago, and it just seemed like it took longer. I went back to regular disposables, which last me and my light beard, almost forever.

Now Dad? That's another story. I may have to dig out that electric razor for him.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Ah hah, another WalMart shopper is see here. You did good. The only thing on mine like that I am using is the clipper part. It helps me stay away from the barber for another week, I can't stand for my hair to get over my ears (yet).
Thanks for picking up on our return. We had a ball, I will post abour our trip later.
..
Oh yes, I have a few leeches for blood sucking if you are needing that now that you have gone electric.
..
I am glad God doesn't watch the cookies. Apples (or the like) were our downfall and he certainly keeps tabs on us still. :-)
..
I've been thinking of you this week because of the California forest fire reminders. Those guys put their lives on the line, I think you have too. Thanks.
..

9:08 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Back in the old days - Ok, just a few years ago before I retired, I used to often see a guy driving up the same road as I at the same time. I could not figure out what he was doing as he drove to work. One day I managed to be alongside him at a traffic light. He was shaving!
I have seen people reading books, putting on make up, eating and drinking, of course, and the usual phone stuff - but this is the only guy I ever noticed shaving!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Janell said...

Yeah, no matter how hi-tech this world gets, a guy still has to take care of his own face.

10:36 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Ha ha! My dad uses his electric shaver in the truck. It really cracks me up, he even has a towel that he lays over his lap so the little whiskers don't get on his pants.

I'm more worried about the whiskers that I'm sure I'm inhaling while he's shaving!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I can't believe how expensive razors are. The electric razor really pays for itself I think.

But yes, shaving is shaving. *G*

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home