Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Category 4 vs. Category 5

A few days ago at 4:30 AM, I was watching the morning news trying to follow the events surrounding hurricane Katrina. That was about the time it made landfall.

It occurred to me some of those news reporters are not the sharpest tack in the box. First of all, they travel into a hurricane to ask people who couldn’t evacuate why they choose to stay. Then they try to talk about something they know little if anything about. One news reporter said, “So, what is the difference between a category 4 and a category 5 hurricane? A category 4 is disastrous and a category 5 is catastrophic.”

Pulling out the new Webster dictionary, I looked up the words. Disastrous is defined as “catastrophic is nature”. Catastrophic is defined as “a disastrous or devastating event”.

I may not know the difference between a category four and a category five hurricane but you have to feel sorry for the people in the path of Katrina.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to wonder about the intelligence of these reporters. They take these stories for the chance to get their face on television, despite the danger involved. I saw one reporter that couldn't even focus on the camera; his eyes kept darting to the left because a piece of a nearby roof had just blown by a few moments earlier.

Even the dumbest animals know to take shelter during a storm.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

The next few weeks are really going to be bad for those along the Gulf Coast where Katrina came on shore. I doubt that New Orleans will be back up and running for at least a couple of years. We have not seen this many deaths from a hurricane in this country for a long time. It's bad.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I agree with you about these reporters and news organizations who send them in to these situations. The channels are reporting "Get out of the city", while they have correspondents stationed to "ride the storm out and report on it."
I think next time when a mandatory evac. is called for, that it will be enforced. Flooded and destroyed buildings & homes are things we can deal with, but having people in them who get killed and injured is not as easy to deal with.
I feel so sad for all those who are directly affected by this. I hope other nations of the world will embrace us, shower us with money and aid, just like we've done for them over the years.
Rich nations like Saudi Arabia who are our supposed friends, need to show it. To them I say, "Show us the money!"

1:00 PM  
Blogger Astrid said...

Yes, I lived through hurricane Frances last year and I thought it was quite an event, but I guess it was nothing in comparison to Katrina.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home