Monday, September 12, 2005

Fall is in the Air


Traveling around Colorado last week, I noticed aspen leaves are starting to change colors. Back at the office, I noticed that even trees in our parking lot (in the above photo) are starting to change. It's amazing how fast Fall has snuck up once again.

The changing of the aspen leaves is a big thing here. People like going to the mountains to see the aspen leaves. They are quite colorful but it always generates a lot of phone calls. People want to know the best time to view the spectacular gold and red colors of the leaves. There are many variables including the temperature and the amount of daylight hours in the Fall but people don't want to hear that. They certainly don't like hearing that peak viewing can be anywhere from the middle of September through the middle of October. They want to know what specific day they should go. The answer this year is the week of September 19. How do I know? That week includes my birthday. I have been using that week for the past ten years and no one has ever called back to say I was wrong. While it's not scientific and probably not very accurate, at least it is consistent.
Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Ralph,
How's your as-pen?

Sorry, just couldn't resist the perfect setup.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Autumn is my favorite time of year. I'm glad it's just about here!

Love your response to the leaf peepers. If I tried to use my birthday, they would look at me oddly. I'm a January baby. Think I'll try it anyway. Should be good for a laugh.

Thanks for the idea! *G*

1:19 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Our birthdays are only five days apart.
My hubby and I lived in CO for just under two years when we were newly married.
Since, I grew up in CA, I had (and still have) such an appreciation for the dramatic colors and changes of the fall season. I didn't grow up with dramatic seasonal changes.
I have had the opportunity of driving through the Smokey Mtns. during the fall, and it was absolutely breathtaking.

9:18 PM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

OOOOOOOOOO GREAT! Now I gotta look at the yellow and orange and red,Just great. I still just have brown. PLEASE POST LOTS.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

All that's required to be an expert is a lack of indecision. People like it when someone is completely sure of something.
I'm so glad I don't have birthday's every year. I would be getting old now.

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today was the first morning that has felt like fall, and I'm longing for the beautifully colored maple trees of Northern Indiana and a big mug of hot apple cider!

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home