Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Flag 2172


September 12, 2005. Today I walked amongst 5,000 American flags. Each flag measured three feet by five feet and stood eight feet tall. They will be up for a week. It's called the 2005 Healing Field and was constructed on ten acres near my home. Each flag is labeled with a number and a name of someone who has died in the war against terrorism since September 11, 2001. This includes the victims of September 11th, the first responders, and military people who have died in the war against terrorism in Afghanistan and Iraq. There is also a place where people from other countries have flags placed in their honor.

September 8, 2001. I had been there for a week and stood many times on my hotel balcony overlooking the city. Far off in the distance I could see the pentagon.

Tonight I was invited to join a group of foresters from Hawaii many from an organization called the Outdoor Circle. They were a fun group to be with. Our experiences in the tree world were different but also remarkably similar. As the evening wore on the group thinned out until it was just Christine Snyder and I. The place we met closed and we moved to the lobby of the hotel talking about families, programs, projects, but mainly about trees. Early the morning of September 9th before heading back to my room, I asked if she had any information on the Outdoor Circle. She assured me she did and she would get it to me before we left the following day.

That morning walking towards the shower I noticed a packet had been slipped under my hotel door. I opened it to discover all kinds of information about the Outdoor Circle and a note from Christine telling me she enjoyed our conversation the night before and was looking forward to staying in touch about tree programs and projects. I showered and headed to the airport. After a week in DC, I was finally heading home.

The flag above is flag 2,172. It has Christine Snyder's name on it. She was aboard flight 93 on September 11, 2001.
Posted by Picasa

12 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Wow. Ralph, thanks for sharing this personal note. Not easy I'm sure. So very sorry for her loss as well as the many they continue to kill.

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph, I don't know what to say except Thanks.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

WOW

9:38 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Thank-you so much for sharing this powerful and moving story with us. It can't have been easy. This memorial is beautiful.

11:19 PM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

WOW, Glad I followed Cliffs telling me to come here first. Thanks that was great.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

One thing the terrorists have accomplished...they have made a lot of heros in this great country. Thank You Ralph

4:53 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Your thoughtful remembrance of your friend is heroic, too. Thanks.

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to know what to say. How touching and sad. Thanks for sharing.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

To say this is a moving post, would not give it justice. I can't read it without crying. We can go on, but we can't stop feeling...

I wish...oh, how I wish that morning....can't finish that.

I can't write specifically yet on my blog about who I lost or friends lost or anyone lost.
I'm honoured to read your words about your friend and will remember her flag number.

Somehow it is a bit comforting that a blogger I came to know via the internet was here shortly before. I'm so glad you are safe, Ralph. And so sad for someone I never knew, but a peak into her life from you, was uplifting. Thank you

6:04 AM  
Blogger Whurlie said...

dearest Ralph, my tears run as i am once again reminded how important it is to wring out every bit of joy and opportunity from every moment we're given and each person we chance to share those moments with~ today, i thank God for all my moments with you

~c

1:01 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

What an incredibly powerful post. It is stories like this that bring what happened home to me on a personal level. I did not know anyone personally who was killed on 9-11-01, and I don't know anyone who has been killed serving in the war against terrorism.
This doesn't mean I am unaffected though. I have carried a lot of sorrow in my heart for those who died and for people like you who lost loved ones at the hands of haters.
I love the tribute of the flags. I am so sorry you lost your friend, Christine.
I am involved in Soldiers' Angels and Any Soldier, sending letters of encouragement and goodie boxes. I will continue to support our soldiers until their mission is complete and they come home. I support them with all my heart and am so thankful for their bravery and sacrifice.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Everyone
Thanks for your comments. Seeing 5,000 American flags all at once, all in one place is breath taking. Christine was on one of those 5,000 who have died. There are many stories and many courageous people. Thanks again for your comments.
Ralph

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home