Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cool Running - Colorado Style

In 1993, the movie, ‘Cool Running’ was released. It’s based on the true story of the Jamaican bobsled team that competed in the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary, Alberta. They became the favorite of the fans. They did not finish because they lost control of the sled and crashed during one of their runs. After crashing, they got out of the sled and walked with it to the finish line under great applause. It’s a movie with an emphasis on, "how you play the game," and the importance of sportsmanship and determination.

We don’t do bobsleds. Rather we golf.

One morning last week while getting around for work I told Char I had signed us up for a golf tournament. She just kind of . . . . well, she glared at me.

Later that day she sent me an e-mail saying she would be late, she was going to have her first golf lesson. As the week played out, she bought a set of golf clubs, a pull cart, golf balls, tees, and a golf glove.

We went the driving range, the chipping area, and the putting green. Last night we played a par 3 course and she did really well.

The tournament is Saturday. It is a scramble. Because of her determination and “its how you play the game attitude”, I won’t be surprised if she doesn’t make a shot that greatly helps our team and turns her into a group favorite.

I’ll keep you posted.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Sure she will help you Ralph. That is a nice outlet/hobby for Shar. Mrs. Jim and I play together sometimes, that is nice too.
..
One more thing, Mrs. Jim's clubs cost about four times mine. Mine were $300 used Cobra irons and Adams' woods. I won't ask how much Shar spent so far. :-)
..

11:01 PM  
Blogger Lanny said...

hip hip hooray Char!

12:26 AM  
Blogger bobbie said...

Good for Char! She's a trooper!

3:02 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

You do realize Char is going to whup your butt!

6:05 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Good luck to you both, and congrats to Char for mastering the skills so quickly!

But you know, the way you began this post left me expecting something more... catastrophic. I thought you were going to say that you crashed the golf cart but carried it back to the clubhouse. Ah well, maybe next time?

10:32 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Char would be a favorite even if she totally stinks at golf. Why? Because Char is a sweetheart through and through.
I hope she does great! I'm sure all her effort will pay off.
I remember seeing the movie Cool Running. It was funny and inspiring.

:-)

3:10 PM  
Blogger golddog said...

Does Char understand she's standing on the wrong side of the ball?

Well, there's part of your problem right there...

I haven't been out in years. Maybe we should go play a quick nine sometime.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Yep, She should spent a little extra so she could get clubs that faced the 'right' direction.
I am guessing that she will be good at this. Very good.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous wor said...

Even though you people think I am standing on the wrong side of the ball, you don't understand that left handed people are ALWAYS right!

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home