Thursday, May 21, 2009

Golfaholic

You might remember I signed us up for a golf tournament. It was held last Saturday.

Our team consisted of our good friends, Chuck, and his wife Rol.

It was an overcast day with a strong, cool wind. Whenever someone made a bad shot, the wind was blamed. However, in all fairness, whenever someone made a great shoot the wind was given credit. Good shots (which there were plenty of) were credit to the individual golfer.

All team members, including Char. stepped up when needed. Everyone at one time or another helped carry the team to a third place finish. There were four teams. While we didn’t win the tournament I can guarantee you, no other team had as much fun as we did.

After the tournament, Char and I moved through the weekend and into the work week. That’s when it started.

Monday afternoon I was staring at my computer screen contemplating how to respond to an unreasonable e-mail request when my cell phone rang. It was Char. The conversation went like this:

Char: So, when do you think you’ll be home?
Ralph (noting the sense of urgency in her voice): I don’t know. Why?
Char: Well I was thinking if you got home early. . . we could go play golf.

That’s when I realized – its started. We played golf again Wednesday evening just confirming the seriousness of the problem.

Yes, I think Char is turning into a golfaholic. Rest assured, I will do everything within my powers and use every means possible to encourage and promote the obsession.

8 Comments:

Blogger bobbie said...

Fun is the name of the game - any game!

5:18 AM  
Blogger Lanny said...

A shared obsession, what fun!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Ralph, I thought I warned you that it's never a good idea to teach a woman how to smack things with a stick.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I'm laughing at Cliff's comment!!

I'm glad she is enjoying herself and it's something you can do together and with friends. I say it's working out great!!

Congrats on 3rd place!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

That's a nice obsession to have.
My old golfing buddies have died and the new ones cancel out.
Maybe they are breaking my obsession cold turkey?
..

7:06 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Yes, I bet you will be of great encouragement and give plenty of help....lol.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

You may as well write Titleist on the side of your head, Ralph.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Congrats on your third place finish. And it's not about where you place, it's about the fun that was had. To have fun is always a first place finish.
Of all the obsessions that Char could have, this is a good one. Lisa

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home