Sunday, January 29, 2006

Southeast Colorado

I spent much of last week in southeast Colorado in the towns of LaJunta and Springfield. This part of Colorado is rich in history and places to visit such as Bent’s Fort and the controversial Sand Creek Massacre site. But, I had no time to see them. I was in windowless meeting rooms most of the time.

I did learn the pickle factory in LaJunta would be shutting down. This factory was started in the late 1920’s or early 1930’s, no one was exactly sure when. It was locally owned and survived through good times and bad. Two years ago, a national corporation bought it. A business that was locally ran and operated for over 70 years will shut down on Monday. A 140 people will wake up on Monday with nowhere to work because a national corporation bought it. Doesn’t seem right does it?

During the day, I was in meetings but in the evenings, the people I was with took me to some interesting restaurants. One was El Rincon, a unique Mexican restaurant. I looked at the menu and there was a dish I had never hear of – anywhere. It was called the ‘Mexican Slopper’. I had to try it. It was a flour tortilla, with a layer of meat, a layer of beans, a layer of guacamole, smothered in green chili. It was good but when I make it, it will be topped with tomatoes and have a side of sour cream.

The next night we ate at a restaurant called the Hog’s Breath. No kidding. Why anyone would name a restaurant that is beyond me but they did. The menu looked good. They had hamburgers, steaks, many fish dishes, a few Italian dishes, and several salads. The conversation with the local people went something like this:

Me: They have a lot fish here. How’s the salmon?
Them: I’d recommend a hamburger or steak.
Me: Those salads look interesting.
Them: I’d get a hamburger or a steak.
Me: That pasta dish sounds good.
Them: Get a hamburger or steak.

I got a hamburger.

Now at least I know where and what to eat. Maybe next time I'll see some of the sights.

11 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Hogs Breath Saloon?? I don't know why anyone would name a place that! Did you come out with breath that smelled like hog's breath??

6:38 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

LOL! Sounds like you had a good time in spite of the meetings! I always like to visit new places... even if only for a meeting.

By the way, I agree with you about the tomatoes and sour cream!

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought that hog's breath smelled like money...or was that hog manure?

I once ate at a restaurant in Pueblo, CO. The special that night was steak. That wouldn't seem odd except that it was a Chinese restaurant.

Have fun on the road, Ralph!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Good one Ralph. You should become a restaurant critic. Oh, I guess you are. Good post. Thanks for the call.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

You come across some of the neatest places! The Mexican Slopper dish sounds delicious. I'll have to try it. Thanks! :0)

1:35 AM  
Blogger Miki said...

do you roll the Mexican Slopper like a buritto, or do you eat it laid out flatly? I would like to try it, sounds yummy! But yes, you need sour cream, tomatoes, and possibly sprinkled with cheese. It would take some experimentation! Glad you had a hamburger in the other place, sounds like the locals were right!
Too bad about the pickle factory, I used to love when my mom made homemade pickles, must have been fun to have a whole factory in town!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Some interesting places Ralph. Having thrown up last night, I don't think I am currently in the mood to go to a place called Hogs Breath. Gross!! We stayed in Fort Worth Texas once, The hotel restaurant offered Buffalo Butt Beer. The front half of a Buffalo protruded through the wall in the restaurant, and the Butt of the Buffalo was sticking through the bar wall, with a beer tap under it.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

I think the Hog's Breath Saloon might have been in the Dukes of Hazzard TV episodes?

The majors do that to eliminate the competition. Buy them out and close them up.
..

7:10 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

At the beginning of your post, I started craving pickles. Then I changed my mind. I don't want to end up with hog's breath!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Jim, you're close. The saloon on Duke's was called The Boar's Nest. *G*

12:27 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel - That's why I took the picture. Didn't know if anyone would believe it or not.
Rhodent - yes, it needs tomatoes and sour cream.
Jerry - I have heard about that Chinese restaurant but never ate there.
Cliff - you and I have discussed the theory behind good cooking many times - keep it simple. There is a lot of truth in that.
Aravis - let me know what you think.
Miki - it is served flat and covered the whole plate. I'd recommend the soft taco size otherwise it is way to much.
Dan - hope you're feeling better. I was feeling like a beer until I read your comment.
Jim - they buy them to close them? That that just annoys me. This is a family blog, annoy is not the word I wanted to use.
Jamie - pickles are your friend. Just remember to brush your teeth.
Marty - someday we will have to talk about pickle park. How did it get that name?

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home