Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Fear

Have you ever thought about what you are afraid of? I did this morning. Probably my greatest fear is having something happen to someone in my family that I cannot ‘fix’ or help with. Then there is my second greatest fear, which I did today.

On the way to face my second greatest fear, I got thinking about some of the things I have experienced in life. It was probably my way of coping with the situation. Throughout my life, I have:
- had a raging forest fire chase me up a mountain. Making it to the top and to safety with only seconds to spare.
- had a helicopter crash just a few hundred feet in front of me.
- been in a helicopter when it almost crashed
- been washed down a mountain by a load of slurry (used in fire fighting) that was off target.
- watched a slurry air tanker crash into the side of the mountain
- been run off a twenty-foot embankment while on my bike by a Miller Lite truck. To this day, I won’t drink Miller Lite unless that is all that is available.
- been in a tornado area when buildings were still falling without warning
- seeing a head on crash as a car crossed the median on the interstate and ran into a semi-truck. Then, with others, stopped and pulled the victims out.
- had a loaded 12-gauge shotgun pulled on me.
- I was shot at once that I know of.
- driving a vehicle, I knew it was going to be hit from behind at 70 MPH when there was nothing I could do.
- been chased out of the woods at night by a pack of wild dogs.
- stood in front of 800 people and gave a keynote speech.

Yet, none of that scares me half as much as going to the Doctor. What’s your fear?

12 Comments:

Blogger Rhodent said...

Just about everything you listed and then some, but I am not afraid to go to the doctor. Something happening to one of my kids, guns, tornados, hurricanes,car crashes, wild dogs, tidal waves,etc. are things worth having a bit of fear over. When you have spent as much time with doctors as I have, it becomes old hat.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rhodent
Don't get me wrong most of those things scared me - just not as much as the Doctor.
Ralph

9:23 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Assuming that the death of a loved one is a given, then my biggest fear is always rats. It's a phobic fear that I haven't been able to shake since I was 16, when I had horrible nightmares almost every night involving them. I can't even look at a picture of one to this day. I'd rather be run off the road by a Miller truck.

Doctors I can handle, though. *G*

11:39 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

Cancer, and we are facing it as you have faced all of your fearful things! GOODNESS! Glad that you survived all of those things, though.

3:54 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Like Aravis said, the death of a loved one. But all seriousness aside, I would have to go with accidentaly drinking a Miller Lite.

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph,
I think my biggest fear would be getting in a vehicle with you. Good Lord, what a rap sheet you got there. And yet Cliff still lets you drive his farm equipment, huh?

4:33 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Aravis - yeah I put death of a loved in in the cannot fix category. Nightmares of rats - that would scare me too.
miki - I know and you and Scott are in our thoughts and prayers.
Dan - it does leave a lingering bad taste in your mouth.
Jerry - only two of those things happened in the last 7 years. Most happen years if not decades ago. Cliff's farm equipment is safe.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

All of the men around here call my Doctor, ET. For good reason.
Also, I'm glad Char sold the 12 ga.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

My word Ralph! You have had some close calls.

Doctor's are no big deal. (Unless you are expecting bad news).

My fears -- if something happened to me, who would care for my husband.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

My 'nine lives' episodes [7 Jan 2006] can't begin to compare with your scares.
Each one could be a nice blog entry or two.
..

7:20 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Well-put about your greatest fear. I'm with you on that one.
It was brave of you to list your close calls. I can't list mine publically. So glad you have suromounted these!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

surmounted :)

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home