Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The High Cost of Love

Char and I celebrated Valentines Day last night. We had a great dinner (yeah, I cooked). This morning we did the gift thing. Then it started.

The news said the average person would spend $100 - $125 on Valentine’s Day. This will buy candy, flowers, cards, etc. According to the news the cost of roses today is $74 a dozen. I saw them last week for $24.95.

Also, don’t just think flowers - think beef jerky. That’s right a beef jerky basket is being offered as an ‘alternative’ gift at many flowers shops. I am not even going to address that ‘alternative’ thing. Or, how about the $12,000 necklace for that someone special? At $12,000, you certainly have to be glad there is only someone! Excuse me this is the news – not a commercial. Did we pull out of Iraq? Was peace reached in the Middle East? Has one “brilliant” journalist figured out why Saddam yelled in court, “Down with Bush!” But, I digress.

Then I met a program sponsor for lunch. This is always fun, he is a great guy, and very generous when planting trees. What is on the table? The Valentine Day special. Two plates of spaghetti with meatballs for $32.95. The fine print said salad, beverages, and desserts were extra. I looked at the menu. The cost of a plate of spaghetti with meatballs was $9.95. Not wanting to sound like a financial genius here but if you multiply $9.95 times two it is still is a lot less than $32.95.

I stopped at the store on the way home. Men and women were almost fighting in the card aisle. Yeah, baby – nothing says, "I love you" like a kidney punch.

Then there is my wife. She gave me a card this morning with a CD in it. On the CD was a short movie she made with her digital camera. It’s two stuffed bears singing a song. She later said the stuff animals cost $15 but the reason she didn’t buy them was not the money but rather what would we do with them. Great point. I have watched the CD three or four times already. I would have pushed the button on the stuffed animal twice.

Smart woman. One of the many reasons I’m glad I married her.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And your wife feels appreciated and loves you too.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

You guys had a nice Valentine's Day. I wonder how the averages are figured, our cost was similar to yours. There must be some really big spenders out there to make up for us.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Roses are $100/dozen here. Crazy. I don't want my husband spending a ridiculous amount on me to show me how much he loves me. I know how much he loves me; he lets me know every day how much I mean to him. I hope I do the same in return.

A quiet, uninterrupted evening at home together is enough for me. We exchanged cards- no fisticuffs involved!- and had a delicious steak dinner he made for me. Perfect! :0)

12:52 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Ralph, I know I've said this before but, all of us men, you especially, have married way over our heads.
I heard that $ figure yesterday morning and told Marilyn that somewhere out there a lady got stuff worth about $200 to average out what you got.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ah the greedy people out to rip folks off on Valentine's Day!

I got a single pink rose from my great niece that stayed here on Monday. A perfect gift!!

You day sounds wonderful Ralph.

8:02 AM  
Blogger taza said...

ahh, the high cost of hype!

true love has no value and no price tag. that said, it's also nice to go out to dinner (early to beat the rush) and then head home to walk the dogs.

chocolate and flowers are not necessary, but certainly nice, any old day of the year! i bet roses aren't 100$/dozen in the spring or summer!

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home