Sunday, February 05, 2006

Remember the Alamo

No one is sure who said those words first but several source credit them to Sam Houston at the battle of San Jacinto. While in San Antonio, I had to see the Alamo. It was nothing like I expected.

I figured it was going to be expensive to get into. I expected crowds of people. And, the worst part, I thought it was on the plains of Texas requiring a long ride in a tour bus or taxi. None of that was true.

The Daughters of the Republic of Texas have been running and managing the Alamo since 1905. They accept donation but admission is free. This impressed me so much I gave a donation greater than what I thought the admission would be. There was also a sign requesting men remove their hats as a sign of respect. Rarely, do you find me outside without a hat but I didn’t wear one that day.

There were plenty of people but not what I would call a crowd. Plus, it is located on 4.2 acres so there is plenty of room.

But most surprising is its location. It is in downtown San Antonio. Step outside the wall of the Alamo and this is what you see. It made me wish it had been on the plains of Texas. I know there is one taxi driver who had a story to tell about the weird tourists he encountered. I was done with my meetings and my speech was given, I had a few hours before another appointment. A few of us were going to see the Alamo! Not wanting to waste any precious time looking for a map and getting directions we went outside and climbed into a cab. I asked how much it would be to go to the Alamo. There was silence – dead silence. I was starting to think he didn’t want to drive that far when he turned around and said in a friendly tone, “Sir, it will cost about five dollars for me to drive you. You can save money and even some time if you don’t mind walking two blocks.” He gave me directions and he was right it was no more than two blocks from the hotel. Next time I will ask for a map or directions.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your taxi driver sounded like everyone else we met in San Antonio - very friendly. We loved the city.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Well, I figured it would be out somewhere all by itself too. What a shock. I hope you enjoyed it.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Ralph, I know what you mean about always wearing a hat. I have the same fear of mirrors.
I've heard that while traveling by cab in D.C. you need to know where one zone starts and the last one stops. They charge by zones, and if you know when to get out, you can save a lot of money.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph,
I, too was surprised at how the Alamo is located right in the middle of downtown S.A. Hope you weren't too embarassed asking for a cab ride. Reminds me of Pee Wee Herman asking where's the basement to the Alamo in Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

What a wonderful story! *G* I grew up in Dallas, and we had to learn Texas history in school. The story of the Alamo was romantic and sad to a girl of 12. I still hope to see it one day for myself. Thanks for sharing your own experience there! :0)

12:19 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

The Alamo must have a big parking lot, they need room for all those rental cars. They have to compete with Enterprise and Hertz.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Well I am glad you enjoyed San Antonio. It is one of our favorite places. In fact, Mrs. Jim and I had our short honeymoon there moons ago.
I hope you took lots of pictures to show us. What did you think of the river and the river walk? Things are BIG in TEXAS.
You could have run on over Houston way for a visit with us.
You could have blogged free from the The Market while you were getting souvenirs or eating Mexican food or visiting the nice bakery.
Please hurry back!
..

8:01 AM  
Blogger Seeker said...

I loved San Antonio on my one and only visit there.
Nice.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I've been to Texas several times, but I've never been to see the Alamo. I have always enjoyed touring historical sites.
I like the post below about the HUGE chair. Right now, I am resting in a comfy chair and feeling better each day. Ahhhh. It's good to relax.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to show you a picture of the Alamo a few years back--some 30 years. It had a few more trees then and wasn't that a forestry conference you went to?

2:55 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

My First Wife and I have also been to The Alamo. There were two things that impressed me. First, it is so small!

Then (when we were there) there was a big Live Oak tree out front with a 4" Galvanized Pipe holding up a branch. "Yesuh, them Live Oaks is special trees."

I'm supposing you enjoyed the River Walk, too. We did.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

I'd like to visit there. Very nice cab driver.

12:51 AM  
Blogger Gel said...

Oh, and I have been to D.C. Cliff is correct about saving $ if you know the zones. You could also save more in D.C. if you contact us... :)

12:53 AM  
Blogger Astrid said...

The city should have given you money for the walking, since you spared the environment with some extra polution.

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home