Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Green Stamps

First of all, I am sick (just physical - so relax). I would like to go on record as saying it is Cliff’s fault. I read his blog about being sick then talked to him on the phone. He was sick. I think he gave me whatever he had. So – thanks Cliff.

Secondly, when I am healthy it’s hard figuring out how my mind works. When I am as sick as I am today, it falls into the category of, “We’ll find out the answer to that when we get to Heaven.”

I was working on something I truly hate, I was sick, and I was cursing Cliff (for making me sick). I pushed away from my desk to look at the computer screen and into my head popped the words – Green Stamps. Do you remember S&H Green Stamps?

As a kid I remember them being given out when you bought grocery, gas, etc. Sometimes you would get a lot, sometimes only one. But, what I remember most is while it was not the unforgivable sin not get them, it was certainly runner up. Those stamps would be put into books. When you collected enough books, they could be redeemed for certain gifts.

Do you remember S&H Green Stamps?

13 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I don't remember ever having these.
I think I saw or heard of Blue Chip Stamps.

You & Cliff have really got to stop kissing.

I hope you feel better soon.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

When times were super hard, my Mother took out the catalog for S&H green stamps, and told my sisters that they could pick one thing from it to get for Christmas. I think I remember saving the stamps at the tail end of their popularity, but I can't remember what I got with them!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

I absolutely remember them! It was my job to lick them and paste them into the little books. I also remember that it took a LOT of stamps to get much of anything. Memories...

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll show my age. Yes, I remember S&H Green Stamps. There were also some little yellow stamps here in Indiana. But the Green Stamps tasted better than the yellow. There was a S&H Redemption Store in Indianapolis.

I've heard of computer virus, but never a phone virus. That is one nasty bug going around.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Oh yes, I have heard of S&H green stamps! I still have a whole bunch of the yellow ones but I can't recall the name of them right off. We used to save them and get items but it took a lot of books to get the good stuff. Then they discontinued them.

Germs by telephone Ralph?? I don't think you can blame Cliff. Of course since he had it you might have thought he gave it to you and therefore you got it then...by suggestion? So if you think he didn't give it to you, then you might get better quicker?

Yeah, you're right, I don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about....

8:23 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Oh my, S&H Green Stamps. Yes we saved them religiously. My Dad would get mad when we'd be traveling and he'd have to go back to the gas station to get his 3 stamps they owed him for the last fill up. Had to keep my Mom happy.
I'm not sure this flu will travel over phone lines and I doubt it can get thru my dial up modem. Very little else gets thru it.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

That's funny, I was thinking about this last week. I do remember them and the way people would avidly collect them. Thanks for the memory, and feel better soon!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

S&H green stamps are now S&H greenpoints.
Per their site:
[http://www.greenpoints.com/]
"S&H, Green Stamps, S&H greenpoints and greenpoints are registered service marks and S&H Solutions is a service mark of The Sperry and Hutchinson Company, Inc."
..
Get well fast.
..
Thanks for linking me, I appreciate that.
..

11:54 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Well Ralph, you have effectively categorized all of us by age. All of us old people knew about the stamps. Good post.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Cliff just called me old......

3:37 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
I think he just called most of us old.
Ralph

5:44 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Speak for yourself, Cliff!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

I remember S&H green stamps, and helping my mom fill books with them. I think she may have gotten an electric blanket or something like that with a pile of books.
I'm 52. Is that old?

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home